Northern Highland-American Legion State Forest
Location and directions
The Northern Highland-American Legion State Forest is located in Vilas, Oneida and Iron counties, in heart of the Northwoods near the cities of Woodruff and Minocqua. It is approximately four hours northeast of Minneapolis and four hours north of Madison. There are two main Visitor Contact Stations in the forest at Clear and Crystal lakes. For directions to the individual campgrounds, please see camping information.
Clear Lake Visitor Station: From the intersection of highways 51 and 47 in Woodruff, follow Highway 47 south 3.5 miles, turn left on Woodruff Road and the Clear Lake entrance will be on the right.
Get Directions - Clear Lake Visitor Station
Clear Lake Visitor Station
8282 Woodruff Road
Woodruff, WI 54568
Crystal Lake Visitor Station: From the intersection of highways 51 and 47 in Woodruff, travel Highway 51 north 6.2 miles to Highway M. Turn right on Highway M and drive 2.7 miles to Highway N. Turn right on Highway N and travel 2 miles, the Crystal Lake Visitor Station entrance is on the left.
Get Directions - Crystal Lake Visitor Station
Crystal Lake Visitor Station
3237 Crystal Lake Road
Boulder Junction, WI 54512
The forest is open from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- A vehicle admission sticker is required for all family campgrounds and posted fee beach and picnic areas.
- A state trail pass is required for all groomed cross-country ski trails and mountain bike trails.
- Hunting and fishing licenses apply.
- Camping rates vary and are based on residency, campsite type and season.
In the area
Travel Wisconsin listings
- Northern Highland-American Legion State Forest [exit DNR]
- Oneida Nation Tourism [exit DNR]
- Iron County Economic Development [exit DNR]
- Vilas County Tourism and Publicity [exit DNR]
More in the area
- Manitowish Waters Historical Society - Wisconsin’s Early Forest Rangers article [exit DNR]
- Boulder Junction Area Chamber of Commerce [exit DNR]
- Eagle River Area Chamber of Commerce [exit DNR]
- Mercer Chamber of Commerce [exit DNR]
- Minocqua Area Chamber of Commerce [exit DNR]
- North Lakeland Discovery Center (Manitowish Waters)[exit DNR]
- Sayner-Star Lake Area Chamber of Commerce [exit DNR]
- St. Germain Area Chamber of Commerce [exit DNR]
- Willow Flowage Scenic Waters Area