Contact: Kelly Maguire, DNR State Game Farm Manager
Kelly.Maguire@wisconsin.gov or 608-267-0866
DNR Pheasant Stocking Increases Hunting Opportunities This Holiday Season
Holiday Pheasant Stocking Offered At 25 State Properties
MADISON, Wis. – The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) today announced the department will stock pheasant at 25 state properties in central and southern Wisconsin during the week of Dec. 19 to increase hunting opportunities throughout the holiday season.
The pheasant holiday stocking began in 2017 to provide pheasant hunters an additional opportunity to hunt during the holiday season. Five state properties were initially stocked in 2017 with another three in 2018.
Pheasants are one of the most sought-after gamebirds in North America and due to continued interest and popularity among Wisconsin pheasant hunters, the DNR will stock 2,800 pheasants across 25 state properties over a two-day period during the week of Dec. 19.
Pheasant season in Wisconsin runs until Jan. 8, 2023.
“We are excited to once again offer this unique hunting opportunity at a time when friends and family are gathering to make incredible outdoor memories,” said Kelly Maguire, DNR State Game Farm Manager. “The selected areas are located near population centers to provide accessible opportunities to as many hunters as possible, as well as areas that see high hunter use throughout the pheasant hunting season.”
Properties to be stocked for the holiday season include:
- Albany Wildlife Area, Green County
- Avoca Unit of Lower Wisconsin State Riverway, Iowa County
- Avon Bottoms Wildlife Area, Rock County
- Badfish Creek Wildlife Area, Dane County
- Boscobel Unit of the Lower Wisconsin Riverway, Grant County
- Brooklyn Wildlife Area, Dane & Green Counties
- Evansville Wildlife Area, Rock County
- Footville Wildlife Area, Rock County
- French Creek Wildlife Area, Columbia County
- Goose Lake Wildlife Area, Dane County
- Horicon Marsh Wildlife Area, Dodge & Fond du Lac Counties
- Jackson Marsh Wildlife Area, Washington County
- Jefferson Marsh Wildlife Area, Jefferson County
- Kettle Moraine State Forest Southern Unit, Waukesha County
- Lake Mills Wildlife Area, Jefferson County
- Mazomanie Unit of Lower Wisconsin State Riverway, Dane County
- Mud Lake Wildlife Area, Columbia County
- Mud Lake Wildlife Area, Dodge County
- Pine Island Wildlife Area, Columbia County
- Richard Bong State Recreation Area, Kenosha County
- Sauk Prairie State Recreation Area, Sauk County
- Theresa Marsh Wildlife Area, Washington & Dodge Counties
- Vernon Wildlife Area, Waukesha County
- Waterloo Wildlife Area, Jefferson County
- Yellowstone Wildlife Area, Lafayette County
Hunters can use the DNR’s Fields and Forest Lands Interactive Gamebird Hunting Tool (FFLIGHT) to locate cover suitable for ruffed grouse and woodcock, managed dove fields and properties stocked with game farm pheasants.
To pursue these birds, hunters are required to purchase a 2022 Wisconsin pheasant stamp. With stamp-funded revenue, the DNR creates and maintains grassland habitats required for pheasants to survive and reproduce year-round.
All hunting regulations and bag limits are still in effect. Hunters are encouraged to read through the 2022 regulations before heading out.