Getting a bear hunting license
- How to get a Wisconsin bear hunting license
To hunt black bears in Wisconsin, you must possess a Class A bear license. You may obtain a Class A bear license by:
- How to apply for the Class A bear license drawing
Wisconsin bear hunting is prevalent, and more people apply than the number of licenses available yearly. According to state statute, Class A licenses, also called harvest permits or kill tags, are awarded through a "preference point lottery system." To be authorized to purchase a Class A license, you must be a drawing winner. You may apply once yearly and buy a preference point or ask to be included in the drawing. If you are not a drawing winner, one preference point will be added to your total.A maximum of four people who wish to hunt together may apply for a Class A bear hunting license as a group. In this scenario, all group members will share the same fate (successful or unsuccessful) in the license lottery. Each group must designate a group leader, and the group leader's DNR customer ID number must be written on each group member's application in the designated section when applying. If group members have different preference point statuses, the lowest preference point status is used for the entire group in the drawing. Group members must each apply for identical zones; if different, the group leader's choice will be used.
- Preference points are required to be a drawing winner
The number of preference points needed to be a drawing winner depends on several variables, including the number of harvest permits allotted for the upcoming season, the number of applicants, and the bear management zone you wish to hunt. Latest Drawing Results - Number of Preference Points Drawing Winners In Each Zone [PDF]
- Where to apply
Applications for a Class A bear license can be made online or at any license sales location. Please note paper applications are no longer available. The deadline for bear season applications is always Dec. 10.
- When to apply for a preference point only
Some hunters may not wish to hunt the upcoming bear season but would still like to accumulate a preference point. The bear application allows the applicant to specify they would like a preference point only, which does not place them in the drawing. Once an applicant is a drawing winner, they are authorized to purchase a Class A license and their preference point total returns to zero. Their preference point total is reset to zero even if, for some reason, they cannot or choose not to hunt bears that year.
The preference point-only option is excellent when an applicant does not risk being a drawing winner but still wishes to increase their preference point total.
- How are drawing winners notified
The bear drawing is held in early-mid February. Shortly after the drawing, the department will send a postcard notifying drawing winners they are authorized to purchase a Class A bear license. You may check your drawing results online by accessing your DNR Customer account. Shortly after the drawing, accounts will be updated to notify the drawing winners that they have been authorized to purchase a Class A license. The permit applicant must know their drawing status and whether they were selected for purchasing a harvest permit.
- Miscellaneous notes about the bear application process
- You must apply at least once every three years, or your preference point total returns to zero.
- Residents and non-residents are treated equally in the drawing.
- Preference points are not associated with a specific bear management zone. Specify the bear management zone only when requesting to be included in the bear drawing.
- If selected in the drawing, your preference point total will return to zero even if you do not purchase the Class A bear license.
- Generally, preference points may not be transferred. You may transfer a Class A bear license to youth (ages 10-17), a person with disabilities, active duty military or Purple Heart recipients. A provision allows the transfer of preference points upon death: Deceased Customer Preference Approval Transfer .