Solid waste rules and statutes
Wisconsin's Legislature creates and revises the Wisconsin Statutes (Wis. Stats.), while state agencies such as the Department of Natural Resources create and revise the rules required and authorized by those statutes. These agency rules constitute the Wisconsin Administrative Code (Wis. Adm. Code).
The majority of the hazardous waste requirements in state statutes and rules reflect mandates contained in the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) and federal regulations that Wisconsin hazardous waste rules must reflect.
WA-17-18 Coal Combustion Residuals Rulemaking
The DNR is developing rules to implement a state permitting program that is as protective as the existing federal coal combustion residuals (CCR) laws. The scope statement was approved at the February 2020 meeting of the Natural Resources Board.
A CCR rulemaking public feedback meeting was held Dec. 1, 2020. The DNR presented CCR rule concepts and gather feedback from attendees.
WA-11-19 Electronics Recycling Rulemaking
The DNR is developing rules to codify and clarify policies related to the E-cycle Wisconsin program and define requirements for electronics processing facilities. The scope statement was approved at the December 2019 meeting of the Natural Resources Board.
The DNR has developed a draft Economic Impact Analysis and is holding a public comment period to solicit any additional information or advice on the economic effect of the proposed rules. Comments will be accepted from March 17 to April 16, 2021. Please submit comments to Sarah Murray.
- Solicitation Notice on Economic Impact Analysis
- Fiscal Estimate & Economic Impact Analysis
- Draft Rule
Note a separate public comment period on the rule itself will be held after the economic impact analysis has been finalized.
The DNR held a rulemaking public feedback meeting Dec. 9, 2020. The DNR presented rule concepts and gather feedback from attendees.
Public participation is a critical component of agency rulemaking and we value your involvement in DNR's rulemaking activities. There are numerous opportunities for you to participate in the DNR rulemaking process.
- Learn about the DNR's rulemaking process and public input opportunities.
- View the current rulemaking status of proposed permanent rules.
- View the current rulemaking status of proposed emergency rules.
Current solid waste rules and statutes
The tabs below list all current Wisconsin solid and hazardous waste rules and statutes.
Solid waste administrative codes
- Chapter NR 103 - Water quality standards for wetlands
- Chapter NR 140 - Groundwater quality
- Chapter NR 141 - Groundwater monitoring well requirements
- Chapter NR 149 - Laboratory certification and registration
- Chapter NR 157 - Management of PCBs and products containing PCBs
- Chapter NR 500 - General solid waste management requirements
- Chapter NR 502 - Solid waste storage, transportation, transfer, incineration, air curtain destructors, processing, wood burning, composting and municipal solid waste combustors
- Chapter NR 503 - One time disposal landfills, small size construction and demolition waste landfills, and intermediate size construction and demolition waste landfills
- Chapter NR 504 - Landfill location, performance, design and construction criteria
- Chapter NR 506 - Landfill operational criteria
- Chapter NR 507 - Environmental monitoring for landfills
- Chapter NR 507 Appendix I - Baseline and detection monitoring requirements
- Chapter NR 507 Appendix II - Substances for assessment monitoring at municipal solid waste landfills
- Chapter NR 507 Appendix III - Volatile organic compounds for detection monitoring at municipal solid waste landfills
- Chapter NR 507 Appendix IV - Semivolatile organic compound (SVOC) analyte1 list
- Chapter NR 507 Appendix V
- Chapter NR 508 - Responses when a groundwater standard is attained or exceeded
- Chapter NR 509 - Initial site reports for landfills
- Chapter NR 510 - Pre-feasibility reports for landfills
- Chapter NR 512 - Feasibility reports for landfills
- Chapter NR 514 - Plan of operation and closure plans for landfills
- Chapter NR 516 - Landfill construction documentation
- Chapter NR 518 - Land spreading of solid waste
- Chapter NR 520 - Solid waste management fees and financial responsibility requirements
- Chapter NR 524 - Training and certification requirements for solid waste disposal facility operators
- Chapter NR 526 - Medical waste management
- Chapter NR 528 - Management of accumulated sediments from storm water management structures
- Chapter NR 538 - Beneficial use of industrial byproducts