Solid waste rules and statutes
Wisconsin's legislature creates and revises the Wisconsin Statutes (Wis. Stats.), while state agencies such as the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) create and revise the rules required and authorized by those statutes. These agency rules constitute the Wisconsin Administrative Code (Wis. Adm. Code).
Public participation is a critical component of agency rulemaking and we value your involvement in the DNR's rulemaking activities. There are numerous opportunities for you to participate in the DNR rulemaking process.
- Learn about the DNR's rulemaking process and public input opportunities.
- View the current rulemaking status of proposed permanent rules.
- View the current rulemaking status of proposed emergency rules.
Current hazardous waste rules and statutes are found on Hazardous waste resources.
Solid waste rules and statutes
Solid waste administrative codes
- Chapter NR 103 - Water quality standards for wetlands
- Chapter NR 140 - Groundwater quality
- Chapter NR 141 - Groundwater monitoring well requirements
- Chapter NR 149 - Laboratory certification and registration
- Chapter NR 157 - Management of PCBs and products containing PCBs
- Chapter NR 500 - General solid waste management requirements
- Chapter NR 502 - Solid waste storage, transportation, transfer, incineration, air curtain destructors, processing, wood burning, composting and municipal solid waste combustors
- Chapter NR 503 - One time disposal landfills, small size construction and demolition waste landfills and intermediate size construction and demolition waste landfills
- Chapter NR 504 - Landfill location, performance, design and construction criteria
- Chapter NR 506 - Landfill operational criteria
- Chapter NR 507 - Environmental monitoring for landfills
- Chapter NR 507 Appendix I - Baseline and detection monitoring requirements
- Chapter NR 507 Appendix II - Substances for assessment monitoring at municipal solid waste landfills
- Chapter NR 507 Appendix III - Volatile organic compounds for detection monitoring at municipal solid waste landfills
- Chapter NR 507 Appendix IV - Semivolatile organic compound (SVOC) analyte1 list
- Chapter NR 507 Appendix V
- Chapter NR 508 - Responses when a groundwater standard is attained or exceeded
- Chapter NR 509 - Initial site reports for landfills
- Chapter NR 510 - Pre-feasibility reports for landfills
- Chapter NR 512 - Feasibility reports for landfills
- Chapter NR 514 - Plan of operation and closure plans for landfills
- Chapter NR 516 - Landfill construction documentation
- Chapter NR 518 - Land spreading of solid waste
- Chapter NR 520 - Solid waste management fees and financial responsibility requirements
- Chapter NR 524 - Training and certification requirements for solid waste disposal facility operators
- Chapter NR 526 - Medical waste management
- Chapter NR 528 - Management of accumulated sediments from storm water management structures
- Chapter NR 538 - Beneficial use of industrial byproducts
Solid waste state statutes
Proposed electronics recycling rule
WA-11-19 Electronics Recycling Rulemaking
The DNR is developing rules to codify and clarify policies related to the E-cycle Wisconsin program and define requirements for electronics processing facilities. The scope statement was approved at the December 2019 meeting of the Natural Resources Board.
The Natural Resources Board approved the rule at its Oct. 27, 2021, meeting. At the request of the Legislature, following committee review, the DNR recalled the rule in April 2022 to make germane modifications to small sections. The NRB approved the changes at its June 22, 2022, meeting, and the DNR submitted the modified rule to the Legislature for review.