Industrial storm water permits
The storm water industrial general permits (Tier 1, Tier 2, Non-metallic mining, and vehicle and scrap recycling) are expiring in 2021. For facilities with existing permit coverage, there is no requirement to file an application for renewal at this time. The department will notify the owner or operator of the facility’s continued coverage under the reissued permit.
Pollutants carried in storm water runoff from industrial facilities threaten or degrade water quality in many areas of the state. Because of this problem, state and federal laws require that certain dischargers of industrial storm water have a storm water discharge permit. The purpose of the permit is to identify conditions under which industrial storm water can be discharged so that the quality of surface waters, wetlands and groundwater is protected.
Industrial storm water discharge permit coverage is based on both:
- a facility's Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) code and
- whether or not the facility has the potential to contaminate storm water.
Chapter NR 216 Wis. Adm. Code, contains a list of classifications of industrial facilities that must obtain storm water discharge permit coverage. For information on the types of pollutant concerns at industrial sites and how they are regulated see How is storm water regulated?
Use the links below to find out information on who is affected, how industries comply with permit requirements and technical assistance documents.
- Permit overview - Information on types of industrial permits, no exposure exclusions, how to apply and fees, permit requirements and storm water pollution prevention plans.
- Apply for a permit and print forms - Download permits, the Notice of Intent application form (NOI) and other forms for industrial storm water permittees.
- Find permit information - Search a database for information on industrial applicants and permittees
- Publications/technical guidance - Publications on how to prepare a storm water pollution plan and conduct storm water sampling.
- No Exposure Certification
- SIC Codes in NR 216