Village of Somers Water Diversion Application
- The DNR approved the Village of Somers’s diversion application to divert up to 1.2 million gallons of water per day from Lake Michigan.
- The Village will divert water purchased from the City of Kenosha Water Utility and return treated water to Lake Michigan via the Kenosha Wastewater Treatment Plant.
- The approval was granted under the Great Lakes-St. Lawrence River Basin Water Resources Compact (Compact).
- The Compact banned diversions of Great Lakes water with a few exceptions.
The DNR approved the Village of Somers’s diversion application on February 23, 2022.
- Findings of Fact, Conclusions of Law, Diversion Approval – February 23, 2022
- Water Supply Service Area Plan Approval – February 23, 2022
- Map of approved Village of Somers diversion area
The Village of Somers will submit an annual report to the DNR as part of the requirements of the and DNR approval.
Revised Application - September 2021
- Diversion Application 9-27-2021
- Water Supply Service Area Plan 9-27-2021
- Water Conservation and Efficiency Plan 9-27-2021
- Cover Letter and Kenosha Water Utility Letter of Support 2-11-2021
Public Comment and Hearing
The DNR held a seven-week comment period on the application and received four comments. The department summarized and responded to comments.
|Jan. 13, 2022||Village of Somers Response to DNR Request for Information|
|Dec. 15, 2021||DNR Request for Information|
|Sept. 24, 2021||SEWRPC Somers Water Supply Service Area Delineation|
|Sept. 17, 2021||Village of Somers Response to DNR Request for Information|
|Sept. 13, 2021||DNR Request for Information|
|Aug. 17, 2021||Village of Somers Response to DNR Request for Information|
|May 17, 2021||DNR Request for Information|
- Subscribe to receive email updates about the Great Lakes Compact or Water Use Program.