Annual reports for responsible units and materials recovery facilities
Both recycling responsible units (RUs) and materials recovery facilities (MRFs) must submit annual reports to the DNR covering activities for the previous calendar year.
Visit Wisconsin recycling studies and reports to see data from previous reports.
Responsible units (RUs)
RU recycling accomplishments and actual costs annual report
RUs are required to submit a report to the DNR by April 30 each year. The annual report confirms an RU's compliance with program criteria, including information on the tonnage of recyclable material collected during the previous calendar year.
Notify the DNR of RU contact changes
If your RU's authorized representative, primary contact or the person filling out the annual report haschanged or has updated contact information, let us know so we can make sure you receive important updates and timely information. Once we receive your request, we will contact you to confirm the updates.
Register to use the online reporting system
To submit a report using the online system, a representative from your RU must have a current WAMS ID on file.
You need to register if:
- your RU has submitted an online recycling annual report or grant application in the past, BUT a different person will be submitting the annual report this year; or
- your RU has not submitted an online recycling report or grant application before.
Note that registration confirmation may take several days, so please allow enough time for this process before your report is due.
Resources to complete the 2020 report
- Log in to the online reporting system through the DNR Switchboard.
- Common errors to avoid when filling out the annual report
- Tips for getting your RU annual report in on time
- Annual report instructions
- 2020 Annual Report (Form 4400-182)
- 2020 Actual Costs Budget Worksheet (Form 8700-222B)
- List of self-certified MRFs
- Recommendations for haulers and MRFs on reporting Table 1 tonnage for the RU annual report
Materials recovery facilities (MRFs)
MRF annual self-certification
MRFs are required to submit a report to the DNR by March 30 each year. The annual report confirms an MRF's compliance with program criteria, including information on the tonnage of recyclable material collected during the previous calendar year.
Notify the DNR of MRF contact changes
If your MRF's operator or primary contact has changed or you need to update their contact information, follow these steps to be sure you receive timely information and important updates.
- Log in to the DNR Switchboard.
- Select “My Facilities and Roles."
- Select your facility under “Approved Facilities."
- Click or tap the red “Unlink Contact” button and “send” the automated message.
Once we receive your request, we will contact you to confirm the updates.
Resources for completing your self-certification
To submit an MRF self-certification using the online system, you must have a current WAMS ID on file. If you are an RU that operates an MRF, you may use your current WAMS ID, but must still register for the role of MRF on the DNR Switchboard. Note that registration confirmation may take several days, so please allow enough time for this process before your report is due.
To begin working on your self-certification, click the log-in link below. If you are unable to complete the online form and would like to request a paper copy by mail, email DNRRecycling@Wisconsin.gov.