The Great Wisconsin Birding and Nature Trail
The Great Wisconsin Birding and Nature Trail is your invitation to observe the fascinating and diverse world of wildlife that exists in every corner of the state. A series of five highway-based viewing guides, each highlights a unique ecosystem of the state. Each guide links a set of waypoints, refuges and wild places that offer the best birding and wildlife watching opportunities.
Site information includes contact information, driving directions, locator map and a description of the property, common and rare plants and animals and a website, if available.
Each trail has its own custom guide, which covers a different region of the state.
- Lake Superior Northwoods Region Viewing Guide (Not available in print. Click to download/print.)
- Mississippi/Chippewa Rivers Region Viewing Guide
- Lake Michigan Viewing Guide [PDF] (Not available in print. Click to download/print.)
- Central Sand Prairie Viewing Guide
- Southern Savanna Viewing Guide
To order one or more guides, email your request, with mailing information, to the DNR Bureau of Natural Heritage Conservation at DNRBureauofNaturalHeritageConservation@wisconsin.gov. Or, send a written request to:
NHC Program Specialist
DNR Bureau of Natural Heritage Conservation
PO Box 7921
Madison, WI 53707-7921