Municipal storm water presentations and fact sheets
These presentations and fact sheets contain information for municipalities on MS4 storm water permit requirements, storm water management program implementation, technical standards, compliance evaluation and financing.
DNR storm water management program powerpoints
View powerpoint presentations prepared by DNR Runoff Management Section staff on erosion control storm water management and post–construction storm water management at Storm water practices presentations and information.
MS4 program updates
- MS4 general permit revisions and statewide summary of 2018 MS4 annual reports
- Informational webinar on the proposed municipal separate storm sewer system (MS4) general permit
- Proposed MS4 general permit revisions and statewide summary of 2017 MS4 annual reports
- DNR snow removal/salt use information
- Snow treatment and disposal guidance for municipalities – PUBL–WR–154–06REV
- DNR implementation of Total Maximum Daily Loads (TMDLs) through MS4 permits
- A recording of the webinar and copy of the program slides are available at the UW-Extension Natural Resources Webinars webpage (April 2015)
US EPA webcast seminars
View these archived webcast seminars on the following storm water topics of interest to municipalities on US EPA web sites. The webcasts are available on–line, and some may also be downloaded as MP4 audio/video files. Exit the DNR web site to access these seminars.
Public education and involvement
Illicit discharge detection and elimination
- Developing your Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination Program
- Conducting Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination Investigations
Municipal programs for construction site permitting
- Stormwater Phase II: Developing an Effective Municipal Stormwater Management Program for Construction Sites (Construction 101)
Pollution prevention/good housekeeping
- Killing Two Birds with One Stone: Building a Local Program to Maintain Your Stormwater Practices and Prevent Pollution from Municipal Operations
- Road Salt Pollution Prevention Strategies
Compliance and financing
- Assessing the Effectiveness of Your Municipal Stormwater Program
- Municipal Stormwater Compliance: EPA’s MS4 Program Evaluation Guidance
- Financing a Municipal Stormwater Program (Stormwater Utilities 201)
US EPA watershed academy webcast seminars
The US EPA Watershed Academy web site offers a variety of self–paced training modules and webcast seminars that represent a basic and broad introduction to the watershed management field and storm water management issues. Exit the DNR web site to access these seminars.
US EPA fact sheets
Download these fact sheets in PDF format on key storm water program issues from the US EPA web sites. Exit the DNR web site to access these fact sheets:
- Model Ordinances to prevent Illicit Discharges
- Incorporating Environmentally Sensitive Development Into Municipal Stormwater Programs
- Evaluating the Effectiveness of Municipal Stormwater Programs
- Funding Stormwater Programs
- Understanding Impaired Waters and Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) Requirements for Municipal Stormwater Programs
Stormwater manager’s resource center
The Stormwater Manager’s Resource Center (SMRC) web site, made possible through a grant from United State Environmental Protection Agency, is managed and published by the Center for Watershed Protection, Inc. The SMRC web site contains slide shows containing descriptive graphic presentations on important aspects of storm water management with an emphasis on storm water treatment practices.