Skip to main content


Note: Some web browsers do not open PDF files on their own. If you experience trouble opening or filling out a PDF form, visit the DNR PDF help for instructions on how to successfully open PDF forms.


Advanced Certification


If you have a current certification in another state and took one or more exams to gain that certification, then you may apply for reciprocity. If you are applying for both waterworks and wastewater certification, complete a separate application for each. A complete reciprocity application includes the following:

  1. Wastewater Operator Reciprocity Application or the Drinking Water Operator Reciprocity Application
  2. Social Security Number Request Form (9400–568)
  3. Cover letter or resume describing your overall experience
  4. Copy of your current certificate
  5. Either a Wastewater Operator Certification Experience Form or Waterworks Operator Certification Experience Form. Note: Complete a separate experience form for each facility that you have worked at. For previous employers, you may enter your former supervisor's name and phone number on the form (a former supervisor's signature is not required).
  6. If you would like to apply for advanced level certification in wastewater, then also complete the Advanced Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Certification Application. Four years of hands-on experience is a minimum requirement for advanced level certification. Mail this form in with your reciprocity application.
  7. Check or money order for $100 Reciprocity Application fee. For those submitting an Advanced Wastewater application in addition the total application fee is $200.

After receipt of your application, please allow 1–3 months for the verification and review process.

Septage business forms

Septage operator certification forms and guidance

Farmer non-commercial operator forms

Solutions to PDF issues: Portable Document Format (PDF) help