Skip to main content


Waterway protection

Bridge over water

Notes on Waterways Permits

For each project type, if an exemption or a general permit is available, you will find a link to a checklist of requirements. If your project does not qualify for an exemption a DNR general or individual permit is required. To start a permit application, use the DNR Water ePermitting System.

To determine if a local permit or a federal permit is required for your project, contact your city or county zoning authority and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers – St. Paul District Office [exit DNR].

State law requires a landowner with a project site that is 1 acre or larger in size to obtain a construction site stormwater permit. To submit a notice of intent, visit the DNR Stormwater Runoff Permitting page.

Waterways Crossings Permitting Process

Constructing a crossing over a navigable waterway requires a DNR permit in most cases. Please email the following information to the waterways team member in your region to determine the right permit for your project. A member of our team will then call or email to discuss options and steps for submitting a permit application.  

As you prepare this information, reviewing the Waterways Crossing General Permit Checklist may help you in designing your project.  

Please email:

  • The project name and location, including city, county, coordinates, and waterbody name or identification code.

  • Whether you plan to construct a new crossing or replace an existing structure

  • The purpose of the crossing

  • The stream width, depth, and substrate

  • The type of crossing and design details, including dimensions and materials

  • An aerial photo from the DNR Surface Water Data Viewer showing the "Mapped Wetlands" and "Wetland Indicators & Soils" layers

  • If wetlands are present, provide details for how wetland impacts will be avoided or minimized

  • Site photos that show ground conditions, taken during the growing season if possible

  • Any details you have regarding discussions with your local zoning office about shoreland and floodplain zoning regulations. 

Crossings Project Types


A bridge is defined in statute as "any structure constructed in or over a navigable waterway to provide a walkway or roadway for pedestrians, animals, or vehicles, and includes pipe arches and culverts."

A permit is required to place a new bridge over a navigable waterway.

Permitting Options


A ford is a structure, typically built with rocks or timber, that is placed flush with the stream bed to aid vehicles in driving through the water while crossing the stream. The placement of highly moveable materials such as sand is prohibited in streams.

A permit is required to install a ford.

Permitting Options


To minimize the impact a water crossing has on the environment, culverts require the proper size, design and installation to ensure that they don't cause erosion downstream, flood upstream properties, alter stream habitat or block aquatic organism passage.

A permit is required to install a new culvert. A culvert replacement project may be exempt if it meets the criteria below.

Permitting Options
Culvert Technical Resources

Temporary In-Stream Crossing for Forest Management

A temporary crossing, such as a bridge or ford, placed in a navigable stream that is less than 10 feet wide for access related to forestry activities is required to have a permit.

Permitting Options

Utility Crossing

Permitting for utility projects is handled by the DNR Environmental Analysis and Sustainability (EAS) Program. Use their Utility Permitting page to determine permit needs.

Please contact DNR EAS staff prior to submitting a permit application.