Skip to main content

Nonmetallic Mining and Cranberry Operations Projects Waterways Permitting

Waterway protection


For each project type below, if an exemption or a general permit is available, you will find a link to a checklist of requirements. If your project does not meet exemption eligibility criteria, review the general permit checklist. If your project does not meet general permit eligibility criteria, you must apply for an individual permit.

To start a permit application, use the DNR Water ePermitting System. A WAMS ID is required.

To determine if a local permit or a federal permit is required for your project, contact your city or county zoning authority and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers – St. Paul District Office.

State law requires a landowner with a project site that is 1 acre or larger in size to obtain a construction site stormwater permit. To submit a notice of intent, visit the DNR Stormwater Runoff Permitting page.

Applicable statutes and code include ss. 30.18, 31.02, 281.35, 86.17, Wis. Stats. , and NR 340, Wis. Admin. Code.

Project Types

Nonmetallic Mining

A mining operation involving rotten granite, stone, rock, sandstone, clay, peat, sand, gravel or other nonmetallic substance for resale, construction or personal use may require a DNR waterways permit.

Permitting Options

If non-metallic mining is associated with current cranberry growing operations and will result in mineral product being sold, the DNR has developed Guidance for Nonmetallic Mining at Cranberry Operations to clarify permitting and statutory exemptions defined for cranberry culture.

Cranberry Operations

The DNR requires a permit if a cranberry project will affect navigable waters or wetlands. See the Waterways Jurisdictional Determinations page and Property Lookup for Designated Waters page to determine whether a waterway is navigable and whether there may be wetlands on your project site.

Technical Resources

Permitting Options