Skip to main content

How to report a spill

Home heating oil spill in a basementA home heating oil spill in a basement.

Discharges of hazardous substances generally fall into one of two broad categories:

  1. Spills - Spills that need an immediate response. These can include a tank truck rollover, failure of a storage tank valve or failure of a wall in a manure storage lagoon. Call the 24-hour emergency hotline at 1-800-943-0003.
  2. Discovery of Spills Through Analysis - Soil or groundwater contamination that is discovered via sampling. The best way to report discovery of a discharge that is identified through analysis of soil or water is to use the DNR's Notification For Hazardous Substance Discharge (Non-Emergency Only) (Form 4400-225) [PDF]. This form includes information about how to fax or email the form to the DNR. Please include a summary of the laboratory data with the form. Don't wait for a written report describing the contamination – immediately fax or email the form, or make a phone call to a DNR regional office, immediately.

Federal reporting requirements

A responsible party may also have to comply with other state and/or federal reporting requirements relating to the Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know Act (EPCRA) or the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA). To report a spill, contact the The Federal Government National Response Center [exit DNR] (800-424-8802).

To determine if you have a reportable spill, please check EPA's Consolidated Lists of Lists [exit DNR].