Resources for local government
Safeguarding our shorelands
The information below covers the adoption and administration of shoreland zoning ordinances for local government officials and staff.
These standards seek to create a balance between private rights and public interests in compliance with statewide minimum development standards.
Laws and regulations
- Chapter NR 115, Wis. Admin. Code - Wisconsin's Shoreland Management Program
- Chapter NR 116, Wis. Admin. Code - Wisconsin's Floodplain Management Program
- Chapter NR 117, Wis. Admin. Code - Wisconsin's City and Village Shoreland-Wetland Protection Program
- Chapter NR 118, Wis. Admin. Code - Standards and Criteria for the Lower St. Croix National Scenic Riverway
Model zoning ordinances
- DNR Model Shoreland Zoning Ordinance (2019)
- Shoreland Mitigation Recommendations for County Zoning Ordinances (2011)