Volunteer safety instructor policy and procedures
Welcome and thank you for your interest in volunteering for the Recreational Safety Programs and for the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. We appreciate your willingness to donate your time to the citizens of Wisconsin for this cause. Volunteer instructors help the department improve the quality of Wisconsin's outdoor heritage.
As a volunteer instructor, you will be representing the department in the public and as such will be evaluated by the public each time you act as a volunteer instructor for and on behalf of the department.
We are interested in your success as an instructor, making your job easier to provide important community education and keeping Wisconsin's recreational safety programs some of the best in the nation.
Here are a few things to remember:
- hunter education field exam is 20 questions;
- instructors are recommended not to exceed a ratio of one instructor per 10 students;
- years of service awards are mailed directly to the instructors; if you would like your award presented to you please contact your outdoor skills trainer;
- course rosters to be submitted within 5 business days of course end date;
- anniversary date as used in the manual is the date an instructor was first certified;
- instructors have 3 years from their anniversary date to meet the Continuing Education Refresher (CER);
- each instructor must complete CER every 3 years to maintain active instructor status; and
- field exercises have been permanently removed from the department's ATV and Snowmobile safety education programs.