Buckhorn State Park
Buckhorn and Roche-A-Cri state parks hold an annual photography contest every year. The contest is organized by the parks' friends groups. Remember to bring a camera along to the parks to take photos for the contest!
- Plants (wildflowers, shrubs and trees)
- Wildlife (animals, insects, etc.)
- People using the park (may need model release in some cases)
- Open (landscapes, etc.)
- Youth (Photographer must be under age 18. Photos can be of anything at the park).
- All pictures must be taken within the boundaries of Buckhorn or Roche-A-Cri State Park between Oct. 1 and Sept. 30 of the next year.
- A separate contest will be run at each park. You may enter pictures in all four categories at both parks. Only two photos per category may be submitted (a total of 16 per photographer).
- Photos submitted may be black and white or color prints, but cannot be panoramic. Photos should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org in JPEG file format. Include “Photo Contest” in the subject line.
- In your email, please include your name, address, phone number, category, age if entering the youth category, and whether the picture was taken at Buckhorn or Roche-A-Cri.
- Any photo entered may be copied by the Wisconsin DNR to be used for displays or in publications.
- The contest is open to all park visitors except judges, park employees and Friends Group members.
A panel of judges will determine the winners. The judges will include a representative of the Friends of Roche-A-Cri State Park, Friends of Buckhorn State Park and local newspaper.
Buckhorn contest first place winners will receive a $50 gift certificate and second place winners will receive a $25 gift certificate.
Roche-A-Cri Contest first place winners will receive a $25 gift certificate and second place winners will receive a $10 gift certificate.
The first place winning photos will be printed in the Star Times (Mauston) and the Adams–Friendship Times Reporter newspapers. The pictures will also be displayed for two weeks at the Mauston Library and Adams County Library. Photos will also be on display at the Buckhorn State Park office.