MFL Certified Group - Pesticide Use
A pesticide is any substance, or mixture of substances of chemical or biological ingredients, which intends to repel, destroy or control any pest, or regulate plant growth. This includes substances used to kill or repel insects (insecticides), fungal or bacterial diseases, or competing plants (herbicides).
MFL Certified Group Members who choose to use pesticides must be knowledgeable of the potential hazards, and develop an integrated pest management (IPM) strategy. An IPM strategy is simply combining a variety of good tools to prevent and control pests such as mechanical treatments, targeted pesticide use, and biological controls.
Forest Certification strives to:
- Eliminate the use of the most hazardous chemical pesticides;
- Promote best practices to minimize associated risks to human health and the environment when using chemical pesticides; and
- Reduce the overall volume and number of chemical pesticides in use.
With the long-term goal to eliminate the use of chemicals in FSC-certified forests, a revised FSC Pesticides Policy was published and became effective on August 1, 2019. Full implementation began December 31, 2020.
Changes from the revised policy
- Need to complete Environmental and Social Risk Assessments (ESRA) to identify whether a pesticide is toxic to the environment and humans in the local environment. ESRA considers not only the hazard of the active ingredient, but also under what circumstances chemical pesticides are used (Risk = toxicity x exposure to humans and the environment).
- No Derogations/Exemptions process for the use of FSC prohibited highly hazardous pesticides.
- Revised list of FSC Highly Hazardous Pesticides (HHP) categorizes HHPs as follows:
- FSC prohibited HHPs
- FSC highly restricted HHPs
- FSC restricted HHPs
Pesticide use and reporting
Use this form to report your pesticide use as required under the FSC pesticide policy.
You will need the following information to complete the pesticide use report:
- Landowner's full name
- MFL order number
- Year pesticide was applied
- Name of pesticide/herbicide
- Name of active ingredient
- Total mix amount
- Active ingredient amount
- Total area treated
- Reason for use
The Wisconsin DNR in collaboration with UW-Extension have completed ESRA protocol for many of the pesticides commonly used for forest management in Wisconsin.
- 2, 4-D (UWEX)
- 2, 4-D (PA DCNR)
- Aminopyralid (UWEX)
- Aminopyralid (PA DCNR)
- B. thuringiensis kurstaki (PA DCNR)
- Cellu-Treat (WI DNR)
- Clopyralid (UWEX)
- Dicamba (UWEX)
- Fenoxaprop (PA DCNR)
- Florpyrauxifen (UWEX)
- Glyphosate (UWEX)
- Imazamox (UWEX)
- Imazapic (PA DCNR)
- Imazapyr (FSC)® [PDF]
- Indaziflam (UWEX)
- MCPA (UWEX)
- Metsulfuron (UWEX)
- Picloram (UWEX)
- RotstopC (WI DNR)
- Sulfometuron Methyl (UWEX)
- Triclopyr (UWEX)
How to use the HHP
To determine if a chemical is on the FSC HHP list, use the CAS number identifier that is unique for each chemical formulation. The CAS number is found on the Safety Data Sheet (i.e. formerly MSDS) for the product. After it has been determined that the property proposed for treatment is under an FSC certificate, simply compare the chemical name and CAS number(s) for the active ingredient(s) of the product that is proposed for use to the FSC HHP list.
If the CAS number matches a:
- prohibited formulation, then it must not be used.
- highly restricted or restricted formulation, then an ESRA must be completed prior to its use. As noted above, the WI DNR in partnership with UW-Extension have completed ESRA for forestry pesticides commonly used in Wisconsin.
Additional glyphosate products
The following products are currently not on the FSC highly hazardous pesticide list.
|Active Ingredient||CAS No.||EPA Reg. No.||Trade Names|
|Glyphosate, potassium salt||70901-12-1||524-537||Roundup WeatherMAX|
|Glyphosate, potassium salt||70901-12-1||524-539||Honcho K6|
|Glyphosate, potassium salt||70901-12-1||524-549||Roundup PowerMAX|
|Glyphosate, potassium salt||70907-12-1||524-549-352||Abundit Edge|
|Glyphosate, potassium salt||70901-12-1||524-579||Roundup PROMAX|
|Glyphosate, potassium salt||70901-12-1||42750- 122||Gly Star K-Plus|
|Glyphosate, potassium salt||70901-12-1||34704- 1111||Mad Dog K6|
|Glyphosate, potassium salt||70901-12-1||524-539-534||Bullzeye HL-K|
|Glyphosate, dimethylamine salt||34494-04-7||62719-556||Accord XRT II|