Skip to main content

Waste facility and transporter licenses

Annual operating licenses issued for solid, hazardous and infectious waste activities cover a one-year period, from Oct. 1 to Sept. 30. You may apply for a license at any point during the year, but will need to pay the full amount of any applicable license fees.

Waste type activity codes

The links below list types of waste that transporters or facilities may list on license applications and license renewal forms. The lists do not include all waste types subject to regulation.

For more information on transporter licenses, visit the following pages:

Facility licenses

Solid and hazardous waste facility licenses

A DNR license is required for a solid waste landfill. For more information on siting and licensing a landfill, visit the landfill siting process.

In most cases, a DNR license is required for a compost facility, processing facility, storage facility, woodburning facility, incinerator or transfer station. Refer to the following links for more details.

Facilities that treat, store or dispose of hazardous waste must be licensed by the DNR, unless the activity is specifically exempt from the licensing requirement. For more information, see the hazardous waste overview. For information on hazardous waste treatment, storage or disposal facility licensing, contact your regional hazardous waste management specialist.


R. Stresau Laboratory Inc. (Stresau) is located at N8265 Medley Road, Spooner, Washburn County, 54801. The DNR received an application April 3, 2023, from Stresau to continue operation of licensed hazardous waste treatment. Stresau manufactures energetic devices and has been in business since 1961. The facility also has a research and development area and a testing and evaluation area for energetics. Stresau currently operates a hazardous waste Thermal Treatment Unit (TTU), considered a miscellaneous unit under ch. NR 664 subchapter X, Wis. Adm. Code, for treatment of reactive (D003) hazardous wastes the facility generates. This treatment unit is considered open burning/open detonation (OB/OD) of hazardous waste and meets the definitions of open burning in ss. NR 660.10(86) and NR 429.02(1), Wis. Adm. Code.

Documents prepared and submitted on behalf of the project applicant, Stresau Laboratory, Inc.:

Warning: These files are large, so downloading may take a few minutes on slow internet connections.

Document prepared by the DNR:

For information, contact:
David Panofsky
Waste Management Engineer
DNR Waste and Materials Management Program

Lists of licensed transporters and facilities

Lists of currently licensed waste transporters and facilities

The following links take you to interactive lists of license holders you can sort and search based on your needs. You can also download spreadsheets of the lists.

Please note: "County" refers to the location of the licensed or registered operation, not its service area. A licensed or registered operation may service an area covering multiple counties or operate statewide. Contact the licensee directly to see if it operates in your area. Licensed operations based outside Wisconsin are at the end of the list.

Solid and hazardous waste facilities and transporters licensed in Wisconsin

Lists of licensed landfills
Facilities accepting tires
Facilities accepting PCB waste