Help and Tips for SWIMS
To meet Department development standards, the SWIMS user interface has undergone a redesign. Along with meeting these development standards, the additional goals of this redesign are to update SWIMS with a modern look, create a standardize layout, and to allow users to do and manage more in the SWIMS database.
Timeline for the SWIMS User Interface Transition
- March 2023: New SWIMS user interface links become available to the general user (The old UI will still be available and accessible at this time)
- May 2023: Users will be automatically directed to use the new SWIMS UI
- June 2023: Full transition to the new SWIMS UI
Please contact DNR SWIMS staff if you have any questions on this new interface or this user interface transition.
The following resources provide help for users of the Surface Water Integrated Monitoring System (SWIMS).
- NEW SWIMS interface link: https://apps.dnr.wi.gov/swims/
- Get a WAMS ID and Password
- Register your WAMS ID: Email DNR SWIMS Help
New SWIMS Interface User Guide
The NEW Swims Interface User Guide is a complete guide that can be used by a variety of SWIMS users (from DNR staff to the general volunteer). The ability to enter, edit, and delete data or see various areas of the SWIMS interface are dependent on the assigned user roles.
- Note: It is recommended that you do not print this user guide. Updates may be made as modules are enhanced or altered for clarity.
Fieldwork - enter data
- Field Data - Enter Field Data
- Field Data - Lake Volunteers (Secchi, Invasive Species, Clean Boats)
- Field Data - River Monitoring Volunteers
Fieldwork - download data
- How to Generate
- Macroinvertebrate Labslips
- Quality Control (Duplicates and Blanks)
- Scanned Lab Slips Available for Viewing (QAQC)
- When does a new station need to be created?
- Monitoring Stations Naming Guidance
- Create New
- How to Locate a Station ID using SWDV
- Continuous Temperature Thermistors (Tidbit, Hobo) Launching, Downloading and Uploading Data to SWIMS
- Upload Continuous Data
- Actions - Create an Action (Grant, Recommendation, etc.)
- People - How to Enter/Edit and Assign Roles
- How to Create a Resource of Interest