Lake Michigan, or the big pond as many Wisconsinites know it, is the No. 1 most frequently visited water in Wisconsin and it's easy to see why. Whether by boat or onshore, a fishing pole will bring you some of the state's best and most diverse fishing, not to mention picturesque views.
And with millions of fish stocked annually to keep populations healthy - there's a good chance there will be a bite on your line.
Plan your trip, get information about charter fishing and learn more about how the department is working to protect and enhance the Lake Michigan fishery through the links below.
Fishing Lake Michigan
Find places to fish on your own! This information will help you get started.
- Lake Michigan fishing report - weekly reports by creel clerks on what's biting and where
- Find a tributary to fish
- Milwaukee fall fishing - 50 places to fish within 60 miles of Milwaukee
- Trap net safety
Lake Michigan's fish of the future
- Salmon and trout spawning facilities
- Root River Open House
Lake Michigan groups and projects
- Fish Management Information
- Great Lakes Charter Information
- Great Lakes Fishery Commission
- Great Lakes Fishing Guide Information
- Green Bay Smallmouth Bass Management
- Lake Michigan Fisheries Forum
- Lake Michigan Lake Trout Management
- Lake Michigan Whitefish Management
- Lake Michigan Salmon and Trout meetings 2022/2023
- Management Reports
- Net Pen Information [PDF]
What Fish Might I Catch?
Get Weather Conditions
- Current stream flow [exit DNR]
- Current stream conditions (temperature, dissolved oxygen, pH) [exit DNR]
- Lake Michigan Buoys [exit DNR]
- Lake Michigan surface temperatures [exit DNR]
- Marine forecast - Lake Michigan - North and South Half [exit DNR]
- Commercial Fishing Confidentiality Request
- Electronic Fish Harvest Reporting System Manual [PDF]
- Great Lakes Daily Commercial Fishing Report [PDF]
- Lake Michigan Fisheries Forum [exit DNR]
- Lake Michigan - Green Bay Research Priorities [PDF]
- Lake Michigan Invasives
- Root River Steelhead Facility Self-Guided Tour