Fishing regulations are used as a tool to ensure good fishing exists in the future. Fishing regulations are used to:
- control angler impacts on fish populations;
- maintain numbers and sizes of fish in a lake or stream;
- provide different types of fishing experiences, such as fishing for dinner or for a trophy fish; and
- make access to fishing as fair as possible.
In Wisconsin, there's always something to fish somewhere, 365 days a year. There are limited open seasons for certain species and waters. Before you hit the water, check the season dates for your favorite species and favorite waters.
- NEW regulations for the 2022-2023 fishing season
- Guide to Wisconsin Hook & Line Fishing Regulations, 2022-2023
- Guide to Wisconsin Trout Fishing Regulations, 2022-2023
- Guide to Wisconsin Spearing, Netting And Bait Harvest Regulations, 2022-2023
- Guide to Winnebago System Sturgeon Spearing Regulations, 2022
- Guide to Wisconsin Setline, Set Or Bank Pole Regulations, 2022-2023
- DNR Field Guide to Possession, Sale, Purchase, Trade and Use of Wild Animals
- Clamming Regulations
- Total Daily Bag Limit
- Guia de Las Regulaciones para la Pesca Con Anzuelo Y Sedal de Wisconsin, 2022-2023
- Guia Sobre La Normativa de Wisconsin Para La Pesca de Truchas, 2022-2023
- Lus Qhia txog Wisconsin Cov Cai Siv Tus Nuv Ntses thiab Txoj Xov, 2022-2023
- Lus Qhia rau Wisconsin Cov Cai Nuv Ntses Trout, 2022-2023
- Large Print Guide to Wisconsin Hook & Line Fishing Regulations, 2022-2023
- Large Print Guide to Wisconsin Trout Fishing Regulations, 2022-2023
Fishing Regulations Toolbox
The Fisheries Management program has developed a regulations toolbox of standardized regulation options for different fish species. The Toolbox helps maintain regulation consistency while providing diverse fishing opportunities and flexibility in managing fish populations.
Catfish Bow, Crossbow and Hand Fishing Regulations
Catfish and bullheads can be taken by bow, crossbow or by hand. The bow/crossbow season coincides with the rough fish spearing season in most cases. The hand fishing season runs from June 1 to Aug. 31. For more detailed information, see the latest regulation fact sheet .
Online Fishing Regulations
We've made it easier to figure out what fishing regulations are on your favorite lake! Our searchable Guide to Wisconsin hook and line fishing regulationslets you search by inland lakes, by lake name or county and includes an interactive map.
The Trout Regulations & Opportunities User Tool (TROUT) was designed to help trout anglers find places to fish. The TROUT application includes trout fishing regulations, classified trout waters, public land and DNR fishing easements.