Tree and Shrub Application Ordering Instructions
To order via our paper form, download the form, complete it and mail it with your payment. Incomplete forms will be returned.
- Minimum order. The minimum order is (a) a packet of at least 300 trees and/or shrubs, (b) 500 shrubs or (c) 1000 trees. Tree and shrub seedlings must be ordered in increments of 100 of each species.
- Section, township and range. Provide the legal description where the trees will be planted. The section, township and range can be found on your tax receipt or by calling the County Clerk of Records.
- Bulk (ungraded) orders. Bulk orders consist of at least 3,000 trees of one species and age. They are discounted because they are not counted or graded at the nursery and therefore may contain 10 percent more or less than the number of seedlings ordered. Bulk orders are not accepted for black walnut, aspen or wildlife shrubs.
- DNR shipping. If picking up at the nursery, the landowner must contact the nursery by March 15 to schedule a pick-up date. Otherwise, trees will be shipped via county truck in April or May at $6 (300 to 1000 seedlings) or $0.60 per 100 for 1000+ seedlings). If you pay for this service and later cancel, you must notify the DNR nursery program before March 15 for a refund to be issued. If picking up at the Griffith or Hayward nurseries, you will be charged a shipping fee.
- Sales tax. A 5 1/2 percent sales tax must be added to the nursery seedling prices. If the seedlings are being used for silviculture purposes then your purchase may be tax exempt. Please submit Department of Revenue Form 211 with your order for tax exemption.
- $0.03 seedling surcharge. In accordance with s. Wis. Stats.28.06 (2)(m), a $0.03 per seedling surcharge is required to be added to your order to support forestry education. This surcharge applies only to PAID orders.
Sales and Payments
For Sales up to January 31, 2022
Do not send your payment if ordering before January 31, 2022 (a billing invoice will be mailed to you as soon as your order is processed). Full payment is required within 30 days of the invoice date (failure to receive a payment will result in cancellation of your order). Exception: For orders exceeding $1000, customers may opt to pay 25 percent down (maximum of $500) with the balance due by March 15, 2022.
For Sales After January 31, 2022
Full payment must accompany the order.
- Make checks or money orders payable to the Department of Natural Resources.
- Full payment is required to ship seedlings.
- Cash is not accepted.
- Your canceled check will be your receipt.
- Checks returned for non-sufficient funds will be assessed a $20 fee.
- Refunds of less than $25 will not be made unless specifically requested by phone or in writing.
If the seedlings are being used for silviculture purposes then your purchase may be tax exempt. Please print and complete Department of Revenue Form 211 - if submitting this form, select an appropriate submission option within the tax exemption box at the end of Section 1.
- Mail or fax your form 211 to:
- Griffith State Nursery
473 Griffith Avenue
Wisconsin Rapids WI 54494
If you have any questions about your order, email Carey Skerven at email@example.com or call 715-424-3700.