Trapping license and fees
Check out our reference documents:
Resident: $20, Resident Youth trapping (15 and under): Free, Resident Mentored trapping: $10, Nonresident $150.
Wisconsin allows trapping by nonresidents from states that allow Wisconsin residents to purchase nonresident licenses and trap in that state. This includes all states except Hawaii, Minnesota and Washington D.C. Nonresident licenses also require the successful completion of the Wisconsin Trapper Education Course or completion of a comparable Trapper Education course in another state as determined by the Wisconsin DNR. Nonresident trappers are subject to all seasons and regulations that pertain to the state of Wisconsin.
A resident who has never purchased a license before, or has not purchased one in the last 10 years, may purchase a first-time buyer license for $5. Nonresidents who have never purchased a license may do so for half price.
A trapping license may be purchased by:
- Using the Online Licensing Center
No age restrictions apply to trapping. All trappers must obtain a trapping license regardless of age. A minimum age of 10 years is recommended for the successful completion of a Trapper Education program.
You may not:
- Transfer your license, permit or tag, or allow its use by anyone else, except as provided in the regulations;
- Carry any trapping license, permit or tag issued to anyone else; or
- Obtain a trapping license, permit or tag for someone else except a parent may purchase for their minor child/children.
Under Wisconsin law, an approval authorizing trapping can only be issued if the customer meets one of the following requirements:
- Possesses a valid trapper education certificate of accomplishment from Wisconsin or another state; or
- Previously purchased a license which authorized trapping prior to 1992; or
- Actively engages in farming per Wisconsin Statute 102.04(3)*