Skip to main content

Trapping license and fees

Check out our reference documents:

Resident: $20, Resident Youth trapping (15 and under): Free, Resident Mentored trapping: $10, Nonresident $150.
Wisconsin allows trapping by nonresidents from states that allow Wisconsin residents to purchase nonresident licenses and trap in that state. This includes all states except Hawaii, Minnesota and Washington D.C. Nonresident licenses also require the successful completion of the Wisconsin Trapper Education Course or completion of a comparable Trapper Education course in another state as determined by the Wisconsin DNR. Nonresident trappers are subject to all seasons and regulations that pertain to the state of Wisconsin.

A resident who has never purchased a license before, or has not purchased one in the last 10 years, may purchase a first-time buyer license for $5. Nonresidents who have never purchased a license may do so for half price.

A trapping license may be purchased by:

To trap/hunt bobcats or to trap fisher you must apply for a permit. The application deadline for bobcat and fisher permits is August 1. Drawings are held in mid-September.


No age restrictions apply to trapping. All trappers must obtain a trapping license regardless of age. A minimum age of 10 years is recommended for the successful completion of a Trapper Education program.


You may not:

  • Transfer your license, permit or tag, or allow its use by anyone else, except as provided in the regulations;
  • Carry any trapping license, permit or tag issued to anyone else; or
  • Obtain a trapping license, permit or tag for someone else except a parent may purchase for their minor child/children.

Trapping requirements

Under Wisconsin law, an approval authorizing trapping can only be issued if the customer meets one of the following requirements:

  • Possesses a valid trapper education certificate of accomplishment from Wisconsin or another state; or
  • Previously purchased a license which authorized trapping prior to 1992; or
  • Actively engages in farming per Wisconsin Statute 102.04(3)*

*Chapter 102.04(3) As used in this chapter "farming" means the operation of farm premises owned or rented by the operator. "Farm premises" means areas used for operations herein set forth, but does not include other areas, greenhouses or other similar structures unless used principally for the production of food and farm plants. "Farmer" means any person engaged in farming as defined. Operation of farm premises shall be deemed to be the planting and cultivating of the soil thereof; the raising and harvesting of agricultural, horticultural or arboricultural crops thereon; the raising, breeding, tending, training, and management of livestock, bees, poultry, fur-bearing animals, wildlife or aquatic life, or their products, thereon; the processing, drying, packing, packaging, freezing, grading, storing, delivering to storage, to market or to a carrier for transportation to market, distributing directly to consumers or marketing any of the above-named commodities, substantially all of which have been planted or produced thereon; the clearing of such premises and the salvaging of timber and management and use of wood lots thereon; but not including logging, lumbering or woodcutting operations unless conducted as an accessory to other farming operations; the managing, conserving, improving and maintaining of such premises or the tools, equipment and improvements thereon and the exchange of labor, services or the exchange or use of equipment with other farmers in pursuing such activities.