Southwest Savanna Ecological Landscape
Regional Master Plan
The department has initiated a regional property master planning process for the Southwest Savanna region. The region includes state parks, trails, natural areas, fishery areas, wildlife areas and the Southwest Wisconsin Grassland and Stream Conservation Area. The landscape covers all of Lafayette County, and portions of Grant, Green, Iowa and Dane counties.
Yellowstone Lake, New Glarus Woods and Belmont Mound state parks are all included in this planning effort.
Refer to the Planning Update section below to stay up-to-date on this project and subscribe to receive email updates.
The Southwest Savanna Proposed Regional Master Plan is on the Natural Resources Board’s December meeting agenda (Agenda Item 4.F) to be considered for approval.
To submit written comments or register to testify regarding the Southwest Savanna Proposed Regional Master Plan, please see the Wisconsin Natural Resource Board’s Public Participation Guidelines.
Please contact Phil Rynish at Phillip.Rynish@wisconsin.gov or 608-977-0286 with questions regarding the plan and its content.
The map below shows the location of many of the properties in this planning process. Click the map below to read about the properties and management considerations for each.
About the Southwest Savanna Ecological Landscape
- Draft Regional Master Plan
- Chapter 1: Overview of Plan and Properties
- Chapter 2: Property Management, Development and Use
- Chapter 3: Regional and Property Analysis
- Chapter 4: Environmental Analysis
- Chapter 5: Analysis of Alternatives
- Chapter 6: Summary of Public Involvement
- Appendix A: Properties of the Southwest Savanna
- Appendix B: Real Estate Action Items
- Appendix C: Maps
- Public Involvement