Rib Mountain State Park Recreation Needs Assessment
Prepared by SE Group
In June 2021, the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) received a report prepared by SE Group to help inform the DNR’s process to update the Rib Mountain State Park (RMSP) master plan.
SE Group was contracted by the Greater Wausau Prosperity Partnership to evaluate existing and potential downhill skiing and mountain biking opportunities at RMSP. The consultant analyzed the existing layout and operations of the downhill ski area and developed a set of potential alternatives for future management. The report also provides an analysis of mountain biking needs and opportunities in the region as well as alternatives for developing a network of trails at RMSP.
The DNR held a public input period on the SE Group Report from June 14 – July 14, 2021. For more information on the Rib Mountain State Park Master Plan, please visit the Rib Mountain State Park Master Plan web page.
SE Group Report
- Cover page and introductory material
- Chapter 1 Introduction and summary
- Chapter 2 Previous plans and policies
- Chapter 3 Existing conditions analysis
- Chapter 4 Climate change assessment
- Chapter 5 Market assessment
- Chapter 6 Technical advisory committee input summary
- Chapter 7 Recreation alternatives analysis
- Figures 1 and 2: Existing conditions and land ownership
- Figure 3: Ecological constraints
- Figures 4 and 5: Slope and aspect analysis
- Figures 6 and 7: Existing snowmaking and lighting
- Figures 8 to 11: Regional maps
- Figure 12: Existing conditions
- Figure 13: Community connections alternative
- Figures 14 and 15: Alternative 2 – winter and summer
- Figures 16 and 17: Alternative 3 – winter and summer
- Figures 18 and 19: Alternative 4 – winter and summer
The DNR initially intended to contract with a consultant to provide expertise in: (1) analyzing the downhill skiing operation and develop potential alternatives for the future and (2) developing mountain bike trail design options. Due to funding needs related to the COVID-19 public health emergency, the DNR had to divert the money it had allocated for this work. The Greater Wausau Prosperity Partnership stepped in and raised the necessary funds and retained the services of SE Group, a recognized expert in downhill skiing design and management. SE Group brought on an expert in mountain bike trail design for the project as well.