Skip to main content

Wildlife rehabilitation directory

In order to protect public health and safety during this time, there may be limitations in the capacity at each rehabilitation center/location and their ability to transport a wild animal to a rehabilitation center/location. Always call a licensed wildlife rehabilitator before assuming a wild animal needs help. Many wildlife rehabilitators may need to temporarily modify how they are able to assist injured, orphaned, or ill wildlife during this time, in order to still protect their own health and safety.
Temporary restriction on bat rehabilitation. Bats may not be brought to a wildlife rehabilitator for care or treatment. Refer to the Bat frequently asked questions page for information on common bat situations.

Temporary restriction on felid (bobcat) and mustelid (weasel species, mink, fisher, otter) rehabilitation. Felid and mustelid species may not be brought to a wildlife rehabilitator for care or treatment, but rehabilitators may still be able to provide advice over the phone or email. You may also contact local Wildlife staff for assistance.  

Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies (AFWA):


Contact a licensed wildlife rehabilitator immediately if you have determined that a wild animal is sick, injured or truly orphaned. Never attempt to rehabilitate wildlife on your own. Wisconsin's licensed wildlife rehabilitators are specially trained to provide temporary care and treatment to wild animals for the purpose of release back into the wild.

You can refer to the Keep Wildlife Wild page, bird [PDF], mammal [PDF] or fawn [PDF] keys for guidance to help you determine if a young wild animal is truly orphaned, and choosing an appropriate course of action.

Wildlife rehabilitators by county

The blue counties on the map represent locations of licensed wildlife rehabilitators. In the ‘Wildlife Rehabilitators by County’ table below the map, click on the associated county name for a list of wildlife rehabilitators and their contact information. Please note that this map and table list only a portion of Wisconsin's licensed wildlife rehabilitators. If you are a licensed Wisconsin wildlife rehabilitator and would like to be added to our webpage, please contact the Wildlife Rehabilitation Program.

Until transport to a licensed wildlife rehabilitator can be arranged, any sick, injured and/or orphaned wildlife should be placed inside a ventilated container in a dark, warm and quiet place away from human disturbances, such as children and pets. Do not provide food or water, as this can do more harm than good if the animal is not in optimal body condition or offered the wrong diet. Recommendations for Transporting Wildlife [PDF]

Rehabilitation county contact locations
Barron Eau Claire Oconto Rock Washington  
Brown La Crosse Oneida Sauk Waukesha
Burnett Langlade Ozaukee Shawano Waupaca
Dane Manitowoc Polk Vernon Winnebago
Dunn Milwaukee Portage Walworth Washburn


Deer rehabilitation policy

Orphaned, sick or injured deer are recovered every year by the public and department staff and placed with licensed deer rehabilitators. The CWD affected counties [PDF] and the deer rehabilitation policy [PDF] are in effect to outline the desired procedures for the intake, release and marking of deer to address disease management issues as well as compliance with state and federal laws. Specific geographic guidance will be communicated by the department directly to all licensed rehabilitators in the state annually or more frequently if necessary.