Wisconsin's state fish: the muskellunge
The muskellunge (Esox masquinongy) is one of Wisconsin's most important and unique trophies. It is so highly valued that the State Legislature proclaimed it the official State Fish in 1955. More world records have been landed in Wisconsin than anywhere else. The current state and world record is a tremendous 69 pounds and 11-ounce fish taken from the Chippewa Flowage.
Find a musky water
Fishing for musky
- Where and when to fish
- Releasing musky
- Musky fact sheet
- Identification of muskellunge, northern pike and their hybrids (Pub No. FH 503)
- Muskellunge management update, 2012 (Pub No. FH 508)
- For musky fishing season dates, see Muskellunge seasons
- For “Trophy” Musky Waters, see Trophy regulations
- For a complete listing of musky fishing regulations, see the Guide to Wisconsin hook and line fishing regulations.