Emergency Response Plans (ERP)
Drinking water security and emergency preparedness
Each community water system should develop a plan to prepare for, respond to, mitigate and recover from all types of emergency situations, including hazards such as floods, tornadoes and other natural disasters.
ERP Required Elements
- Municipal systems shall have an emergency response plan including at a minimum:
- A list of state and local emergency contacts.
- A system for establishing emergency communications.
- Any mutual aid agreements the utility has with other communities for sharing personnel, equipment and other resources during an emergency. Example: WIWARN
- Other-than-municipal systems shall have an emergency response plan including at a minimum:
- A list of plumbers, electricians, or other contractors available during an emergency.
- Procedures for obtaining a back up water source.
Things you can do to protect your water system from contamination and harm.