Skip to main content

Registration for boats and off-highway recreational vehicles

The Wisconsin DNR provides registration services for boats, all terrain vehicles, utility terrain vehicles, snowmobiles and off-highway motorcycles. The Wisconsin WI Department of Transportation issues titles and/or registration (license plates) for automobiles, motorcycles, trailers and trucks.


In Wisconsin, “Boat” or “vessel” means every description of watercraft (i.e. motorboat, sailboat, jet ski, pontoon, canoe, kayak etc.) used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water, except a seaplane on the water and a fishing raft. Registration is required for:

  • All motorized vessels and boats used on waters of the state; including electric trolling motors.
  • Sailboats greater than 12 feet in length used on waters of the state.
  • Boats registered in another state, which have been using Wisconsin waters for more than 60 consecutive days.

Boat title and registration information

Off-highway recreational vehicles

The DNR requires snowmobiles, ATVs and UTVs, and off-highway motorcycles to be registered for off-highway use.

ATVs and UTVs
Off-highway motorcycles