Enviro-Check enables organizations to voluntarily verify their environmental compliance through an audit, and self-disclose and correct violations with limited liability. This program is a great option for facilities that want to reduce risks, identify efficiencies, cut costs and improve operations overall. Enviro-Check audits also improve awareness of regulatory requirements and provide strategies to comply with those requirements.
All businesses can participate in the voluntary Enviro-Check program anytime, but it’s especially useful when there are changes at a facility, such as staff or management turnover, buying or selling a business, or new processes or regulations.
Other benefits to your business, include:
- Limited liability with no or low fines for self-reported and corrected violations;
- Reduced risks, costs and environmental impacts;
- Increased efficiencies and improved environmental performance;
- Confidence for lenders, buyers, supply chains, customers or certification bodies; and
- Only cost to participate is associated with hiring a third-party auditor.
Enviro-Check Limited Liability Benefits
The department may collect forfeitures of up to $500 per reported violation regardless of the number of days it has continued. If a facility is making a good faith effort to return to compliance, the department has flexibility to waive all penalties. In most cases, participants receive no fines if they report and correct violations within 90 days (or within the negotiated extension beyond 90 days).