Skip to main content

Wisconsin Forest Landowner Grant Program

The Wisconsin Forest Landowner Grant Program (WFLGP) WFLGP program [PDF] is a cost-share program offered by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR). It is designed to assist woodland owners in protecting and enhancing their woodlands. This program reimburses woodland owners up to 50% of the cost of eligible practices.


Non-industrial private forest landowners in Wisconsin are eligible for WFLGP and must meet the following criteria:

  • Own at least 10 contiguous acres of forest but not more than 500 acres within Wisconsin
  • Have a forest stewardship plan in place on their land or be applying to have one prepared through the WFLGP program
  • WFLGP funding can only be cost-shared for non-commercial practices

Priority 1 Practices

  1. Stewardship plan development

  2. Tree planting/regeneration

  3. Forest health and improvement

  4. Soil and water protection and improvement

Priority 2 Practices

  1. Wetland and riparian protection

  2. Wildlife habitat enhancement

  3. Endangered or threatened resources, rare natural community, historic, cultural and archaeological protection, restoration, enhancement and maintenance

How to Apply

Application Materials

For assistance filling out the application, please contact your local DNR forester. Applications must be submitted to the local DNR forester for approval.

Fillable PDF version of WFLGP application (can fill out electronically): 

If you have any issues with opening the application above, use the non-fillable version of WFLGP application below (you will have to print out and fill this document out by hand):

A completed W-9 must accompany all applications:


Applications can be submitted at anytime. Funding is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, so be sure to submit your grant application well before the project needs to begin. Grants may be awarded on August 1st, November 1st, February 1st, and May 1st depending on funds available and the number of applications in the waiting list. The majority of projects are funded each year on August 1st.

Grant Process

Grant amounts are based on the type of project and number of acres to be completed. When a grant has been awarded, you will receive a letter from the DNR indicating that you may begin your project. Once you are awarded a WFLGP grant, you have two years to complete approved projects. Important: work completed prior to receiving an award letter is not eligible for reimbursement.

During your project, be sure to keep good records of your expenses, including receipts, paid invoices, cancelled checks, work logs, etc. These records must be submitted to your local DNR forester when you complete your project. Keep in touch with your forester as your project progresses.


Once your project is complete, submit proof of payment to your local DNR forester. The forester may visit your property to review the project and verify its completion. Actual payments are based on completed work. Typically, you will be reimbursed for 50% of paid invoices and receipts or an hourly rate for your labor. Payments cannot exceed the grant amount.

Note: The DNR is required to report the grant payment you receive to the Internal Revenue Service as income using the information provided with your W-9 form. The taxability of this income may vary depending on your situation. Consult with a tax adviser for more information.

Address change procedure

The Department of Administration (DOA) requires additional forms when a grant recipient requests that a payment be sent to an address other than the address that was originally submitted on their W-9 form. This most commonly occurs if a landowner moves during the duration of their WFL grant, or if they applied using an address other than their primary mailing address (e.g. a winter residence).

In these cases, the landowner must submit a Change of Address form (DOA-6457) with the desired mailing address. The form must be filled out, signed by the landowner and submitted with the payment request. Checks will not be sent to a new address without this form. Contact your local forester for the form.

Grant related statutes and administrative codes